determine on/to do
be determined to do
类似表达还有:
make up one's mind to
make a decision
They decided to break up.
他们决定分手了。
We have reached a decision.
我们已经做出了决定。
I made up my mind to study hard and win a scholarship this year.
我决定今年好好学习获得奖学金。
What have you decided?
你做了什么决定?
I've decided to study abroad.
我已经决定去国外学习了。
I will back you up no matter what you decide.
不管你做什么决定,我都支持你。
I can't make a decision without knowing the facts.
在不了解事实的情况下,我不能做出决定。
经典对话
A: The summer vacation is coming up. Do you have any plans?
暑假就快要到了,你有什么计划吗?
B: I haven't decided yet, but my parents want to travel to Mexico this summer and they want me to go with them.
我还没有决定好,不过我父母想在这个夏天去墨西哥旅游,他们想让我跟他们一起去。
A: That's a good thing. You can take advantage of this holiday to relax for getting better results next year.
那是好事啊,你可以利用这个假期好好放松一下,以备明年取得更好的成绩。
take advantage of...表示“利用”,take good advantage of..表示“好好利用”,take full advantage of表示“充分利用”
B: Yes, I think so too. How about you? Have you made any decisions yet?
是的,我也这样想你呢,已经做了什么决定吗?
A: Well, I have decided to travel to Europe this summer holiday.
是的,我已经决定在这个暑假去欧洲游。
B: Alone?
你一个人吗?
A: I would like that very much. But my parents feel worried about me, so I have to go with my classmates.
我很想这样,但是我父母不放心,所以我只能跟同学一起去了。
B: Your parents are right, it's safer.
你父母很对,这样比较安全。
A: Yeah, anyway, I'm glad I can visit Europe this time.
是的,不管怎么样,我还是很高兴这次能去欧洲旅游的。
B: I know this is your dream all along. I'm so happy for you.
我知道这是你一直以来的梦想,真替你高兴。
all along表示“自始至终”,相当于all the time
A: Thank you, and I've planned my routes. I'll travel through all the countries I like, especially Britain, Germany, the Netherlands and France.
谢谢,而且我已经计划好了路线,我会把我喜欢的国家都逛一遍,尤其是英国,德国,荷兰和法国。
B: Good idea. Well, I've decided I'm going to travel to Europe with you. I think it'll be more interesting.
好主意。好了,我已经决定了,我要跟你一起去欧洲旅游,我觉得这样会更有趣。
A: Okay. Welcome to join us. But you will have to talk to your parents first.
好啊,欢迎加入我们,不过你还是先跟你父母商量一下。
B: I know, I'll tell them tonight.
我知道,我今晚就跟他们说。
A: Alright. I wait for your good news.
好的,等你的好消息。