Hi everybody, it's Joe Biden.
大家好。我是乔·拜登。
I delivered a report to President Obama laying out how far we've come since he put me in charge of the Cancer Moonshot that was back in January
我向奥巴马总统提交了报告,说明了自他让我在1月份开始负责治愈癌症的登月计划开始所取得的进展
and lay out a real vision for where we need to go in the immediate future to:
在很近的未来日子里,这是我们需要实现的,也是很现实的愿景:
to do in five years what would otherwise take ten;
在五年时间里完成需要十年里才能完成的事情;
to inject a real sense of urgency into the fight against cancer;
在战胜癌症上注入更紧急的意识;
and to change the culture and reimagine our system in order to be able to win.
改变文化并重新规划我们的体系以便能够取得胜利。
When President Nixon declared war on cancer in 1971, he had no army, he had no resources, and no clear strategy.
当尼克松总统在1971年宣布对癌症的战争时,他没有军队,没有资源,没有明确的战略。
But after 45 years of progress, funding research, training scientists and physicians, and treating millions of patients -- we now have the army.
但在取得45年进展之后,有资金支持研究,培训着科学家和内科医生,治疗了数百万患者--我们现在有了军队。
We now have tools, powerful tools. And with this Moonshot, we now have a clear strategy for the road ahead.
我们现在有了有力的工具。有了登月计划,我们现在对未来的道路有了明确的战略。
It matters, folks, because there's a consensus now that we're at an inflection point
这很重要,因为很明确,我们处于拐点之上
with science, medicine, and technology all advancing faster than ever and offering real promise.
有着比以往更先进的科学,医药和技术,并做出了实质性承诺。
We can't play by the rules of 1971 -- we didn't have this working for us.
但我们不能遵循1971年的规则--那时我们没有当下的这些资源。