您的位置 首页 英语阅读

总统呼吁确保美国引领世界开拓新边疆(2)

That's why it's so backward when some folks choose to stick their heads in the sand about basic scientific facts.也因此,当一些人就基本的科学事实都逃避现实,是如此的落后。It's not just that they're saying t

That's why it's so backward when some folks choose to stick their heads in the sand about basic scientific facts.

也因此,当一些人就基本的科学事实都逃避现实,是如此的落后。

It's not just that they're saying that climate change a hoax or trotting out a snowball on the Senate floor.

不仅仅他们在说,气候变化是骗局,或者在参议院炫耀冬天的雪球。

It's that they're also doing everything they can to gut funding for research and development,

总统呼吁确保美国引领世界开拓新边疆(2)

他们也在做着他们能做的事情,阻挠为研究和开发提供资金支持,

the kinds of investments that brought us breakthroughs like GPS, and MRIs, and put Siri on our smartphones.

包括把我们带到突破性时代类型的投资,比如GPS,核磁共振,把Siri应用到智能手机中。

That's not who we are.

这不是我们的样子。

Remember, sixty years ago, when the Russians beat us into space, we didn't deny Sputnik was up there.

请记住,60年前,当俄罗斯人击败我们进入太空,我们并没有否认人造卫星的存在。

We didn't haggle over the facts or shrink our RD budget.

我们没有就事实争论不休或者压缩我们的研究开发预算。

No, we built a space program almost overnight and beat them to the moon.

不,我们几乎在一夜之间建立起太空计划,并击败他们登上了月球。

And then we kept going, becoming the first country to take an up-close look at every planet in the solar system, too. That's who we are.

之后,我们继续前行,成为第一个在太阳系能够近距离看到所有行星的国家。这才是我们的样子。

And that's why, in my first inaugural address, I vowed to return science to its rightful place.

也因此,在我的第一份就职演说中,我发誓让科学回归到它应有的地位。

It's why in our first few months, we made the largest single investment in basic research in our history.

也因此,在我就职的前数个月里,我们做出了历史上对基础研究最大的投资。

本文来自网络,不代表英语网立场,转载请注明出处:https://www.yingyuw.cn/en/29135.html

为您推荐