Super hero
大英雄
Dr.Marilyn spoke at our staff meeting.
玛丽琳波斯在我们员工会议上讲话。
She took us through exercises as she worked to get our minds and spirits adjusted to a more positive direction.
她想通过练习把我们的思想和精神调整到更积极的方向。
Close your eyes and think back to time when you were small.
合上眼睛,回想一下小的时候,
What did you want to be?
你们想成为什么?
What were your dreams?
你们的梦想是什么?
What did you want to do?
你们将来想做什么?
Close your eyes and think back, she instructed.
闭上眼睛回想一下。她对我们说。
I closed my eyes and thought back.
我闭上眼睛,开始回想。
I remembered what I wanted to be.
我能想起来我梦想成为什么。
Dr. Marilyn then told of her early beginnings as a writer.
然后,玛丽琳博士向我们讲述了她早时作为一名作家的经历。
She told of the articles and the publishing successes that she experienced but so many of them were punctuated by, I didn't get paid for that.
她说到了写过的文章和发表文章取得的巨大成功,但是大多数的情况是:我没用向他们收取任何酬金。
Her words struck me.
她的话让我一惊。
I worked in a corner drug store when I was very small.
在我很小的时候,我在一家街边药店工作。
I was below the age limit to work but the store made an exception.
我没达到法定的工作年龄,但是药店给了一个例外。
My father owned the store, thus the exception.
因为那是我父亲开的药店。
I worked long and hard. I treasured my lunch breaks.
我工作时间很长,很辛苦。我很珍惜我的午餐休息时间。
Not so much for the food or the rest, it was what I did during my lunch breaks that I treasured.
不是因为午餐本身,也不是因为休息,而是珍惜期间我做的事。
I read comic books.
我用这段时间读连环画。
I read the action books, not the romance or the comedies, action, pure action.
我读动作小说,但不对爱情小说或者喜剧,就读那种纯粹的动作书。
When I closed my eyes and thought back, I knew instantly what I had aspired to be:A Super Hero!
我闭着眼睛回忆从前,猛地意识到我一直立志想成为:一个超级大英雄。
Superman, Batman, Spiderman and Ironman were some of my heroes.
超人,蝙蝠侠,蜘蛛侠和钢铁侠都是我的英雄。
In all of the action comics that I read, there was a distinct pattern—the Super Hero was never paid for his contribution to society;he always earned his living in his alter ego.
我所有的动作漫画书都有一个相似的地方—大英雄从来不因为对社会作出贡献而索取回报;他们总是靠自己的工作挣钱。
词语解释
1.adjust to 调整,调节
Do you adjust to deprivation quite so quickly?
你能这么快适应被剥夺网络的状态么?
The world must adjust to this unpleasant new threat.
全球必须直面这种令人不快的新威胁做出调整。
2.make an exception例外;破格
It is breached if you want to make an exception for yourself or a special group of people.
如果你自己或者一个特殊的群体想要破例的话,这些原则就被打破了。
But mr hague said that given the heightened public interest in the murder of heywood, he would make an exception inthis case.
但黑格表示,考虑到公众高度关注海伍德谋杀案,他对这件事作破例处理。
3.earn a living 谋生,维持生活
So churchill had to earn a living, which he did by writing.
因此丘吉尔必须要想办法谋生,他的办法就是写作。
All counter-revolutionaries should be given a chance to earn a living, so that the can start anew.
对一切反革命分子,都应当给以生活出路,使他们有自新的机会。
4.pay for赔偿;为…付钱
The chinese steel mills then pay for the shipping.
船运费将由中国的钢铁厂支付。
Taxpayers should not pay for bank failures.
纳税人不应该为银行的错误买单。