'You've got me,'said Laurie.'I'm not good for much,but I promise I'll always be your friend,Jo.'
你有我呢,罗瑞说。我不一定很好,可我发誓我会永远是你的朋友,琼。
'I know you will,'answered Jo,gratefully.
我知道你会的,琼感激地说。
'Then don't be sad,'he said.'I'll be back from college in three years time,and then we'll go abroad,or on a nice trip somewhere.
那别伤心了,他说。我三年之后就会大学毕业,然后我们就出国,或者去什么地方好好旅行一番。
Wouldn't that cheer you up?'
那会让你高兴一点吗?
'Anything can happen in three years,'said Jo.
三年里什么都会发生,琼说。
'That's true,'said Laurie.'Don't you wish you knew what was going to happen?'
是的,罗瑞说。你希望知道将会发生什么吗?
'I don't think so,'said Jo.'It may be something sad,and everyone looks so happy now.
我不希望,琼说。可能会是伤心的事,现在每个人看上去都很高兴。
'As she spoke,she looked round the room,and her face brightened at the sight.
当她说这话时,她环顾屋内,她看到的景象使她高兴起来。
Father and Mother sat happily together.
爸爸和妈妈快乐地坐在一起。
Amy was drawing a picture of Meg and John,who were looking lovingly at each other.
艾米在为麦格和约翰画画,那两个人相互爱恋地对望着。
Beth lay on the floor,talking to her old friend,Mr Laurence.
白丝躺在地板上和她的老朋友劳伦斯先生聊天。
Jo sat in her favourite chair with a serious,quietlook on her face.
琼在她最喜欢的椅子上坐下,面带严肃安静的表情。
Laurie smiled at her in the long mirror that was opposite them both . And Jo smiled back.
罗瑞从他们对面的长镜中对她微笑,琼也朝他微笑。
关于《小妇人》
后来邻居劳伦斯家也有一个藏书室,那也是乔经常去的地方。这些都为乔日后热心写作出版了多部作品而打下了基础。