My dearest Meg,I can no longer hide my love for you,and must know your answer before I return.
我最亲爱的麦格,我再也不能隐瞒对你的爱,在我回来之前我一定要得到你的答覆。
I cannot tellyour parents yet, but I think they will agree if they know that we love one another.
我还不能告诉你的父母,可我想如果他们知道我们相爱的话他们是会同意的。
Mr Laurence will help me find a good job,and then, my sweet girl, you will make me happy.
劳伦斯先生会帮我找一份好工作,然后,我心爱的姑娘,你会让我幸福的。
Say nothing to your family yet, but send a word of hope tome through Laurie.
先不要对你父母讲,但通过罗瑞给我一句希望的话吧。
Your loving John.
爱你的约翰。
'That terrible boy!'said Jo.'I'll make him sorry.'
那个可恶的男孩!琼说,我会让他后悔的。
But her mother said,'Wait,Jo.Are you sure this is nothing to do with you?'
可她母亲说:等等,琼。你肯定这事与你无关吗?
'I never saw the letter before!'said Jo.'But Mr Brooke wouldn't write stupid things like that.'
我以前从来也没见过这封信!琼说。可布鲁克先生不会说像这样的蠢话。
'It's like his writing,'said Meg unhappily, looking at the second letter in her hand.
这像他的笔迹,麦格看着她手上的第二封信。
'Oh,Meg,you didn't answer it?'said Mrs March.
噢,麦格,你没回这封信吧?马奇太太问。
'Yes,I did!'cried Meg,hiding her face again.
不,我回了!麦格哭着说,又把头埋进双手里。
'Let me get that wicked boy!'shouted Jo.
让我抓住那个坏男孩!琼大喊。
关于《小妇人》
马奇家的四姐妹中,无论是为了爱情甘于贫困的梅格,还是通过自己奋斗成为作家的乔,以及坦然面对死亡的贝思和以扶弱为己任的艾美,虽然她们的理想和命运都不尽相同,但是她们都具有自强自立的共同特点。