中英文本
Chapter 10 Back to Stratford
第10章 退居斯特拉福镇
You're losing your hair,Will,I said to him one day.
威尔,你掉头发啦。一天,我对他说道。
We're both getting old,Toby,he said.There's no escape from it.Old and tired.
我们俩都老了,托比,他说,谁也躲避不了,又老又不中用了。
Don't talk like that,I said.You're only forty-seven.
别这么说,我说,你才47岁,
There's still some life in you yet.And another twenty plays!
日子还长着呢,还可以再写20部戏剧!
No,he said slowly.No,I think the poetry is nearly finished.
难啦,他缓缓说道,难啦,我发觉自己已是江郎才尽,
I'm getting tired,Toby.I need a rest.
我也感觉累了,托比。我需要休息。
I think The Tempest is going to be my last play.
我想《暴风雨》将是我最后一部戏剧。
I'm saying goodbye to the stage.
我要和舞台告别啦。
Times are changing,and people want a different kind of play now.
时代在变化,人们现在需要看些不同风格的戏剧。
There are lots of new,younger writers,who know how to please the playgoer.
更何况纷纷涌现出一批年轻的新剧作家,他们懂得如何博得观众的欢心。
I'm not modern any more.
我再也跟不上时代了。
He never usually talked like this,and I didn't like it.
他从来不曾这样说过,我也不爱听。
There's only one Will Shakespeare,I said,and he'll always be modern.
世上只有一位威廉·莎士比亚,我说,他永远属于这个时代。
Now,I must get on.
好啦,该干活了,
I've got to go out and buy all the cloth for the new costumes in The Tempest.
我得出去购置《暴风雨》一剧新服装的布料。
Why did you have to put it on an island?
你为什么要将故事发生在一个荒岛上呢?
When the ship goes down,the actors all have to come on stage in wet clothes.
轮船下沉后,演员们只能穿着湿漉漉的衣服回到舞台。
It takes a day to dry the costumes,so that means two lots of clothes for everyone—wet and dry!
衣服要花一天的时间才能晒干,这就意味着每人都得准备两套衣服—一件湿衣服和一件干衣服。
莎翁经典
因为她生得美丽,所以被男人追求;因为她是女人,所以被男人俘获。