SHARON: How can I help you today, Alice?
夏伦:我今天能帮你些什么,艾丽斯?
ALICE: Well, I came to talk to you because I want to apply for a scholarship.
艾丽斯:嗯,我来是因为我想申请奖学金。
SHARON: Oh, good. You're an excellent student.I'd be very willing to help you with that.
夏伦:喔,好的。你是一个很好的学生。我非常愿意帮你。
ALICE: Thanks. I really appreciate it.In fact, I do need a letter of recommendation for this scholarship.
艾丽斯:谢谢你。我真的很感激。事实上,我是需要一封申请奖学金的推荐信。
SHARON: What kind of scholarship is it?
夏伦:是什么样的奖学金?
ALICE: It's an undergraduate scholarship offered by the American Minority Students Scholarship Association.I'm eligible for it because I'm Asian American.
艾丽斯:是一个大学生奖学金由美国少数民族学生奖学金协会所提供。我之所以符合申请是因为我是亚裔美人。
SHARON: Fine. I know about that scholarship.You have to be a student in your junior year,and you have to have a grade point average of 3.7 or higher.
夏伦:好。我知道有关奖学金的事。你必须是三年级学生,而且你的平均成绩要在 3.7 或是更高。
ALICE: I'm a junior now, and my GPA is 3.92.
艾丽斯:我现在是三年级,而且我的平均成绩是 3.92。
SHARON: Excellent. So you'll have a good chance of getting it.
夏伦:太好了。所以你有很好的机会拿到它。
ALICE: Well, I hope so. The competition is probably pretty heavy.And they want a writing sample too.
艾丽斯:我也希望,可是竞争也很大。他们希望要有写作的样品。
SHARON: Do you have an essay you want to send them?
夏伦:你有作品可以寄给他们吗?
ALICE: No, they want a special essay.I must write an essay on a particular question they pose.
艾丽斯:没有,他们要比较特别的学术性文章。我必须写一篇他们所提出的探讨某一特定问题的文章。
SHARON: What is the question?
夏伦:问题是什么?
ALICE: They give applicants a topic.The topic is, "The Place of Ethnic Minorities in a Democratic Society."My essay must be three pages typed and double-spaced.
艾丽斯:他们给申请人一个题目。题目是"少数民族在民主社会的地位。"我的文章必须要有三页纸长,用打字机打好以及使用两倍行距。
SHARON: That's a pretty short essay.
夏伦:那是一篇很短的文章。
ALICE: Yes, but I need to write it by next week.
艾丽斯:是的,但我需要在下星期以前写好。
SHARON: Good luck. I'm sure you will do a good job.
夏伦:祝你好运。我很确定你会做得很好。
ALICE: I came here today to talk to you because... Well, I need to ask two favors.
艾丽斯:我今天来跟你谈是因为……嗯,我想要请你帮两个忙。
SHARON: Sure. What are they?
夏伦:好啊。是些什么?
ALICE: First, I need a letter of recommendation.
艾丽斯:首先,我需要一封推荐信。
SHARON: I'd be happy to write one for you.
夏伦:我很乐意帮你写。
ALICE: And second.... Well, I'm not sure if it's normal.
艾丽斯:第二……嗯,我不确定这是否可以。
SHARON: What is it? Do you want me to read your essay?
夏伦:是什么?你要我看你的文章吗?
ALICE: Yes, if you could.I mean, if you could read it to make sure there are no mistakes.Or maybe you'd have some suggestions.
艾丽斯:是的,如果你可以的话。我的意思是,如果你能帮我看并确认没有问题。或是你可以给一些建议。
SHARON: Of course I could read it. That's no problem. But you need to get it to me soon.
夏伦:当然我可以看。那没有问题,但是你需要快一点给我。
ALICE: I will. I want to write the first draft tonight.So I could bring it tomorrow morning.
艾丽斯:我会的。我晚上会写初稿。这样我明天一早就可以给妳了。
SHARON: Alright. If you can bring it to me tomorrow morning,I can talk with you after class on Friday.So I'll have some feedback for you before the weekend.
夏伦:好的。如果你明天一早就可以给我我可以在星期五下课后告诉你。那么我可以在周末前给你一些反馈。
ALICE: That would really help me a lot. I'm very grateful.
艾丽斯:这真的给我很大的帮助,我真的很感谢你。
SHARON: Don't mention it. I'm always willing to help good students.
夏伦:别客气。我很乐意帮助好学生。