01 I was like, "What?!"
(someone) was like... 口语中用于表达某人的一种反应,比如说的话或思想活动
▷ He was like, "Hold on, wait for me!"
他说,等下,等等我。
▷ I saw it on her face – she was like "Yo, leave me out of this!"
我看见她脸上都写着呢,她一脸的“嘿,别把我扯进来!”
02 That takes guts!
(something) takes guts 做某事需要勇气。Guts本意是内脏,引申为胆量。
▷Being a police officer takes guts, for sure.
显然,当警察很需要勇气。
03 All right, so much for that one.
so much for (something) 人们放弃做一件事或努力泡汤的时候常说的话。
▷It's already ten thirty? So much for getting an early start!
都十点半了?得了,不用想早起的事了!
▷Oh no! He saw us? So much for keeping it a surprise.
哦漏!他看见我们了?好吧,什么惊喜都没了。
04 We nailed it!
nailed it 圆满完成某件事,或说得完全正确。Nail本意是钉钉子。
▷That's so true. He's nailed it.
确实如此,他的观点一针见血。
Kill it也可以指事情完成得超乎意料地好。
▷ Louise has been killing it! Louise
干得漂亮!
05 I knew you'd give me a hard time about it!
give…a hard time about… 跟某人过不去、嘲笑某人、难为某人。
▷ When I was growing up, the other kids used to give me a hard time because of my weight. But I just tried to ignore them.
小时候由于我的体重,其他的孩子一直在取笑我。但是我尽量不理他们。
▷Come on! Why do you have to give me a hard time about that? I told you: I had to work.
拜托,干嘛老拿这事儿跟我过不去,我都说了,我要工作了。
06 I might be 90 years old, but I'm still young at heart!
might… but… 也许……但是……,可以用来委婉地否定别人的观点。
▷Paris might be popular, but I don’t want to live there.
巴黎可能是一个很受欢迎的地方,但是我不想住在那里。
07 I couldn't agree more.
couldn’t agree more “不能更同意”,表示强烈同意对方的观点。强烈不同意也能说couldn't disagree more。
▷- I think that this is a great opportunity. - I couldn’t agree more.
-我觉得这是一个非常好的机会。 -完全赞同。
08 Just do it already!
Just… already! 赶紧的做某事!这个短语一般都是在抱怨对方反应太慢,表现一种不耐烦的态度。
▷I've been hearing about this girl for weeks. Just ask her out already!
我听你念叨这个姑娘已经好几周了,求你快约她吧!
09 Strangely enough, I just bought a bike.
strangely enough, … 遇到巧合或惊讶的事时的表达,可以翻译为真巧、真稀奇。
▷如果你和小李同时找到了新工作,就可以说: Strangely enough, I just got a new job as well.
真巧,我也刚找到一份新工作。
10 Could you give me a few pointers?
give someone pointers 给某人一些建议。Pointer指建议、提示、线索。
▷You're not holding that quite right. Do you want me to give you a few pointers?
你握的方式不太对,你要我给你一些建议吗?
11 Yeah, it's decent.
decent 不错,挺好的。
▷-This soup isn't bad at all!
这汤味道还不错嘛!
-Yeah, it's decent.
嗯,挺好的。
12 Who are you to talk?
who... to talk? 表示某人没有资格发表意见或批评别人,因为他/她自己也做得不够好。
▷Who are you to talk? You’re just as messy as me.
你有啥资格说我?你跟我一样邋遢。
▷He's so disorganized. But who am I to talk? I can't even keep track of what day of the week it is.
他超级迷糊。不过我也好不到哪去,我连今天是星期几都搞不清。
13 Is it just me, or is it hot in here?
Is it just me, or…? 这是一种委婉的抱怨,一般都是在看对方是否有同样的意见。
▷Is it just me, or are these seats even more cramped than normal?
是只有我一个人这么觉得么,这个座位是不是比一般的更挤啊?
14 Did I leave my book at your place, by any chance?
by any chance 口语中常用这一表达来询问是否有某种可能。
▷Are you by any chance free tonight?
你今晚有没有空呀?
15 The last thing I want is to hurt you.
The last thing I want is…
我最不愿意做的事情就是……
▷The last thing I want is to cause an argument on your birthday, but this is a serious problem.
我很不想在你的生日争吵,但这是一个很严重的问题。
16 Are tomatoes still in season?
be in season 表示某种蔬果是当季的。
▷I think pears are in season soon.
我觉得吃梨的季节要到了。
也可以说It's... season:
▷It's strawberry season. We should go pick some at the farm down the road.
到了吃草莓的季节了。我可以去农场采摘草莓了。
17 Don't get all impatient.
all 在口语表达中,形容词前加一个all,可以增强感情色彩,通常是表达负面情绪。
▷He gave me his old computer, but it's all old and crappy.
他把自己的旧电脑给我用,但是那电脑又老又破。
18 Summer will be over before you know it.
before you know it 表示事情过得非常快。
▷Before you know it, you'll be finished with school. 很快的,你就会毕业了。
19 I've never gotten into baseball for some reason.
get into something 对某事感兴趣。
▷I've been getting into history lately.
我近来对历史大感兴趣。
20 Man! You're on fire!
on fire 本意是着火了,引申意是指人的状态特别好。
▷Lewandowski is on fire, scoring five goals in nine minutes. Lewandowski
状态神勇,在短短九分钟内就打进五颗球。
21 I find it hard to relate to him sometimes.
relate to someone/something 理解、接受某人某事,与之有同感、有共鸣。
▷I can relate to this story. Same thing happened to me.
我对这个故事非常有共鸣,同样的事情也发生在我身上过。
22 I report to John.
report to someone 向某人汇报,这一表达常用来说明某人的直接上司是谁。
▷Jane reports to the Sales Manager.
Jane的直接领导是销售经理。
在某人手下干活,就可以说work under:
▷Do you still work under John?
你的领导还是John吗?
23 You bet!
you bet 意思是“You can bet money on that”(你可以压钱赌一把),说明你完全同意对方的观点、提议等。
▷-Are you coming to the party? 趴体你会来吧? -You bet! 当然来!
-May I borrow your hammer? 可以借你的锤子用下么? -You bet! 当然!
24 Good thinking! That would be great.
good thinking 好主意,跟good idea同意。
▷-Why don’t we take a rest?
我们休息一下吧?
- Good thinking.
好主意。
25 It's way past your bedtime!
way past Way相当于"far",这个表达是远远超过某个点的意思。
▷There's no use apologizing now. We're way past that point.
现在道歉已经没意义了。太晚了。(表示你绝对不会原谅他了……)
26 What? That's nuts!
That's nuts! Nuts是非常口语化的表达,表示“crazy”疯了。
▷-We hiked 45 miles in two days.
我们两天徒步走了45英里。
-Whoa, that's nuts! Really?
哇~太疯狂了!真的吗?
27 Oh, that sucks!
(something) sucks 在谈论糟糕的、让人失望的、不幸的事情时,人们常用这个表达。正式场合慎用。
▷My computer sucks! I need to get a new one.
我的电脑糟糕透了!我要买个新的。
28 So, what's your story?
What's (someone's) story? 人们常用这一表达来询问不太熟悉的人的信息。相当于说, "Tell me more about that person",再说说那人的情况吧。
▷You know that guy you introduced me to at your party? What's his story? 你在派对上介绍我认识的那个人,你很熟吗?跟我说说他吧?
如果你对某人说,what's your story? 意思就是让对方自我介绍一下。
29 I didn't mean to walk in on you.
walk in on someone / something 走进一个地方打扰了里面的人或正在进行的事,通常是些尴尬的事……
▷Someone walked in on me while I was in the bathroom.
我在浴室的时候突然有人走进来……
30 He's around fiftyish, I'd say.
-ish 口语中,在一个词后面加-ish,就等于说"a little bit" ,"kind of",给人一种大约的、模糊的、不确定的感觉。
▷Come over at 12-ish.
12点左右过来。
▷That color is blue-ish.
颜色是类似蓝色的那种。
好了,今天先总结30个,大家慢慢消化哦。