点菜有两种方式,一是a la carte(随意点菜),一是tabled' hote或fixed price meal(份饭,套餐),后一种有几道固定的菜肴和饮料,价格也是固定的。它的优点就是方便快捷,点菜时只需指着菜单说:
Please give me this one.
(请给我来这个。)
We want two number eights, please.
(我们要四份第八套餐。)
在点菜之前,一般先要份菜单:
May I have a menu, please?
(我可以看菜单吗?)
如果不急于点菜,可以在服务生问到:
Can I take your order now?
(你现在叫点什么吗?)
回答:
Not quite. Could I have a few more minutes?
(不,我可以再多等会吗?)
需要叫菜时,可以说:
Please take my order.
(请接受点菜。)
如果对当地的菜肴不熟悉,可以问:
What is the specialty of the restaurant?
(这家店的招牌餐是什么?)
Do you have any special meals today?
(今天有什么特餐吗?)
What would you recommend? I prefer something light.
(我想来点清淡些的,你能推荐什么吗?)
也可以让同来的人替你作主,或是点重复的饭菜:
I'll leave it to you.
(我让你来点。)
I'll have the same as that one.
(我要一份和那个一样的。)
自己点菜可以更随意些,例如:
A. Could you tell me how this thing is cooked?
(能否告诉我这道菜是怎么做的?)
B. Lobster? It's steamed and served with our special sauce.
(龙虾?蒸过后加上本店特制的调味料。)
A. Is it good?
(好吃吗?)
B. Sure. It's a most popular dish.
(当然,很受欢迎的。)
A. I think I'll try some lobster, and give me some green salad together.
(我想我来点儿吧。再给我一份蔬菜沙拉。)
B. We have three dressings for salad. Which one would you like ?
(我们有三种沙拉调味汁,您要哪种?)
A. What kind do you have?
(你们有什么?)
B. We have Italian, French and Thousand Island.
(有义大利,法国和千岛的。)
A. Make it French please.
(给我法式的吧。)