1. Dress to Kill = wear one‘s finest clothing
衣服漂亮得电死人。
范例短文:
The reception for the new ambassador was quite lavish. Naturally, everybody was dressed to kill. Since it was a formal occasion, everyone was dressed in their finiest, most elegant clothes.
欢迎新大使的招待会很豪华。自然,每个人的衣服都漂亮得电死人。因为这是个正式场合,大家都穿着最好最体面的衣服。
2. Knock Someone‘s Socks Off = enthuse and excite
让人兴奋得连袜子都掉了。
范例对话:
A:Hi, John. What‘s new?
嗨,约翰, 怎么样?
B: Oh, nothing too much with me, but you ought to see Nick‘s new car. It‘ll knock your socks off!
哦, 还那样.不过你真该看看尼克的新车. 那车真带劲!
3. Lose One‘s Shirt = lose a great deal of money
连衬衫都输掉了,表示输了很多钱。
范例对话:
A: I happened to bump into Doug at lunch yesterday afternoon.
昨天中午我碰上道格了.
B: What‘s new with Doug these days?
他怎么样?
A: He wasn‘t doing so well. For one thing, he told me he lost his shirt at the races.
不太好.有件事,他告诉我马赛上输了很多钱.
B: Doug has always liked to bet on the horses. I‘m not surprised that he lost a great deal of money.
他喜欢赌马.说他输了大钱我一点都不奇怪.
4. Wet Blanket = dull or boring person who spoils the happiness of others
盖湿毯子当然不舒服,象湿毯子一样的人,一定是令人厌烦、倒人胃口的人。
范例短文:
James was not invited to go on the outing with the rest of the group because he‘s such a wet blanket.
詹姆士没被同组的人邀请出游,因为他是个倒人胃口的人.
5. Dress to the Teeth = dressed elegantly
跟中国成语武装到牙齿有异曲同工之妙,表示某人费尽心机着装打扮。
范例对话:
A: Did you see Hilda at the party last night?
昨天的晚会上看见希尔达了吗?
B: Yes, I did. She was really dressed to the teeth!
看见了.精心打扮得都到牙齿了.