I hate to burst your bubble.
burst one' s bubble :打破幻想
A: I dream of going to study at Harvard University.
我梦想能到哈佛读书.
B: I' m sorry to burst your bubble, but your grades are too low. You' ll never get accepted to Harvard.
我抱歉我打碎你的美梦,你分太低,哈佛不会录取你的.
My little sister thinks that Santa Claus is real. Don' t burst her bubble by telling her that he isn' t.
我妹妹认为圣诞老人是真的,别告诉她那是假的以免她失望.
Alone on the streets you don' t stand a chance.
stand a chance:有机会
He stands a good chance of getting that job. He is very qualified.
他很有机会得到这个工作,因为他很有资格.
You don' t stand a chance of losing weight if you eat at McDonald' s everyday!
你要是天天吃M,是没可能减肥的.
I' m feelig a little left out.
left out:被遗忘了
I felt left out when Lily forgot to invite me to her birthday party.
Lily忘了生日聚会请我,我觉得自己被遗忘了.
Jason didn' t go camping with us last weekend, so I think he feels left out when we talk about the trip.
Jason上周末没参加露营,所以当我们谈论那次行程的时候感觉他被我们遗忘了.
We' re going to make it Rose.
make it:达到目标
I didn' t think I was going to make it through the exam, it was so hard!
我没想到能通过考试,太难了!
He went to Hollywood to try and make it as an actor.
他到好莱坞去试试看能不能当个演员.
A strongly worded letter.
strongly worded:语言过激的
After I was fired, I wrote my boss a strongly worded letter.
我被辞之后,我给老板写了一封措辞强烈的信.
My dad and I had a strongly worded argument when I told him I wanted to drop out of school.
我告诉爸爸我想辍学时我们大吵了一架.
Don' t say your goodbeys.
不要放弃
I know you' re upset that you didn' t get the part, but don' t say your goodbeys to acting just yet.
我知道你为没得到角色而烦恼,但现在还不是放弃的时候.
Don' t say your goodbeys to this relationship, I still love you.
不要放弃我们的感情好吗,我依然还爱着你.
he's not calling the shots.
call the shots:负责或管谋事的
You must do what I tell you because I'm calling the shots around here.
我让你干啥就干啥因为这儿我说了算.
Who is calling the shots for your team?
你们队谁是头.
2.What's your beef with him.
beef:有过结
eg: Luke will not go to the party with us because he has some kind of a beef with the host. Luke
不会和我们去参加聚会了,因为他和party主人有点过结.
I have a big beef with people who say one thing and do something different.
我很看不上那种心口不一的人.
It fell into my lap.
sth falls into one's lap:天上掉馅饼或意外得到的
My first chance to visit China fell into my lap.
我第一次到中国是个天上掉馅饼的好事.
Fred's new job practically fell into his lap.
Fred的新工作几乎是天上掉馅饼的大好事.
Doesn' t look like you got off to a real good start.
get off to a good start:有了好的开始,开门红
I really want to get off to a good start at my new job. I hope I don' t make any mistakes at my first week.
我真想让我的新工作有个好的开始,我可不想头一个礼拜就出错.
Annie' s date didn' t get off to a good start.Roger came to the restaurant 45 minutes late.
Annie的约会开头可不太顺利,Roger迟到了45分钟才到餐厅.