你知道要如何婉转地表达「矮」或「胖」吗?
想尿尿,总不能直接说 “I want to pee!”
如果担心自己在聊天、开会时说错话,
或是想学如何委婉表达敏感话题,
那么这次的分享你一定要看!许多有趣的「委婉语」等着你!
死亡
Pass away 逝世
That driver passed away last night.
那位司机昨晚逝世了。
Six Feet under 九泉之下
She was granted one more chance, but now she’s six feet under.
她有过再一次的机会,但她现在已在九泉之下了。
穷
Economically Disadvantaged 经济弱势
Developed nations should spare no effort to support their economically disadvantaged counterparts.
发达的国家应该不遗余力地去资助贫国。
赃货
Fell off the Back of a Truck (卡车后面掉出来的)
I think this scarf must have fallen off the back of a truck.
我想这条丝巾应该是偷来的。
失业
Laid off 被解雇
Mike was laid off, but he found a better job very soon.
Mike被解雇了,但他很快地又找到了一份更棒的工作。
Between Jobs 待业中
I told my mom that I was between jobs to calm her down.
我告诉我的母亲我其实是待业中,才能让她冷静下来。
二手
Previously Enjoyed 前人享受过/使用过的
I bought this previously enjoyed car only for 10000 dollars.
我买这台二手车只花了一万元。
形容身材
Vertically Challenged(垂直地受到障碍)矮
Is there any other game for vertically challenged guests?
还有其他游戏是身高未达标准的客人能参与的吗?
Big-boned (有着比较大的骨架)胖
I’m not fat! I’m just big-boned.
我才不胖!我只是骨架大了点。
形容障碍
Physically Challenged 身体障碍
Mentally Challenged 智能障碍
This program aims to provide a shelter for the physically and mentally challenged children.
这项计画目标在于提供一个避风港给带着身体及智能障碍的孩子们。
上厕所
Powder My Nose(补补鼻子的妆)
Is there a place to powder my nose?
请问有地方让我补补妆的吗?
Answer the Call of Nature(回应大自然的呼唤)
I must answer the call of nature now!
我现在急需上个厕所!
形容年纪大
Over the Hill 走下坡
Wilson is over the hill as a soccer player.
身为足球员的Wilson已经开始走下坡了。
Not Over the Hill 宝刀未老
My grandma drinks like a 25! She’s not over the hill yet!
我的奶奶酒喝得像是她25岁时的模样,依旧宝刀未老呢!
趣味补充:
形容胖
Aisle Blocker (挡住走道的人)
I had to take a two aisle detour just to get a box of puffs because of two aisle blockers.
为了买那盒泡芙我必须绕两条路走,因为有两个胖子一直挡在我前面。
形容笨
Sb’s not the brightest bulb.(某人不是最亮的那颗灯泡)
He did that again? Well, obviously he’s not the brightest bulb.
他又犯一次了吗?好吧很明显地他不是最聪明的人。
呕吐
Yelling at one’s shoes(对自己的鞋子大吼)
I yelled at my own shoes after the party last night.
经过昨晚的派对我大吐了。
上大号
Catch Up On Some Reading 继续看我的书(暗示大号)
You guys have fun! I’m gonna catch up on some reading.
你们好好玩吧,我要去大号了。
放屁
Break Wind (指排出肠胃中的气体)放屁
Someone in the office broke wind. It smelled terrible.
办公室有人偷放屁,臭死人了!
Drop a Rose 到门外放屁
I was dropping a rose outside. What’s the matter?
我刚刚在外面放屁,怎么了吗?