Bob 走在路上,看到一个熟悉的面孔在前方不远…
Bob: Gaya! Is that you?
Bob:Gaya!是你吗! ?
Gaya: Hey, Bob! Wow, it’s been like… five years since we last saw each other!
Gaya:嘿,Bob!哇,我们有…五年没见了吧!
Bob: What a coincidence running into you like this! How have you been?
Bob:这样遇到你真是巧!你最近过得如何?
Gaya: Pretty, pretty, pretty good. I changed careers and found a job as an engineer.
Gaya:挺~不错的。我去年开始转换职涯,我现在是工程师。
Bob: Computer engineer?
Bob:酷!你是电脑工程师吗?
Gaya: Haha no. I’m a hydraulic engineer.
Gaya:哈哈不是,我是水利工程师。
Bob: I’ve never heard of that. What does it involve?
Bob:我从没听过耶,是做什么的?
Gaya: It’s a type of civil engineer. We make sure that the water supply is developed and used properly, while at the same time minimizing the environmental impact.
Gaya:是土木工程师的一类。我们确保在不造成任何环境破坏的前提下,适当开发并使用水资源。
Gaya 的工作听起来酷极了!我们先来学习工程师的英文怎么说吧!
engineer (n.) 工程师
engineer 意指「工程师」,常见的如:software engineer (软体工程师)、hardware engineer (硬体工程师)。
At least half of the people working at the startup are software engineers.
这间新创公司至少有一半的员工是软体工程师。
civil engineer (n.) 土木工程师
civil engineer 意指「土木工程师」,其中的 civil 意指「民用的;平民的;公民的」,各种公共建设都有赖土木工程师的努力。文中提及的 hydraulic engineer (水利工程师) 即是土木工程师的一种类别,专指于水资源方面的建设 (其中 hydraulic /haɪˈdrɑːlɪk/ 的意思是「水压的」)。
Civil engineers deal with infrastructure.
土木工程师专职基础建设的建造。
water supply (n.) 水资源
supply 动名词同形,意思是「供给」,因此 water supply 意思就是「水资源」。
People living in big city tend to take a clean and stable water supply for granted.
居住在大城市里的人们往往把水资源视为理所当然。
那么 Gaya 的工作内容是什么呢?继续看下去!
Bob: So, stuff like building reservoirs?
Bob:所以举例来说,你们会建造水库?
Gaya: That’s right. Both reservoirs and dams.
Gaya:没错。水库和水坝都有赖我们的帮助。
Bob: Awesome! Well thank you for all your hard work. Without hydraulic engineers, we wouldn’t have water in our taps.
Bob:好棒!那我一定要感谢你。没了水利工程师,我们就没有日常用水了。
Gaya: That’s right. Behind any construction project is a group of engineers.
Gaya:其实每项建设的背后都有一群工程师哦。
Bob: You make a really good point. Can you imagine a world without engineers?
Bob:我从没想过。你提醒了我一群我们应该感谢的人。
Gaya: (smiling) We’re just happy knowing that the public has a safe water supply. Besides that, we are always working toward soil and water conservation.
Gaya:(微笑) 只要人们可以好好生活、不用担心用水,我们就满意了。除此之外,水土保持也是我们的另一项目标。
reservoir (n.) 水库
reservoir /ˈrɛzəˌvwɑɚ/ 的中文是「水库」,这个字源自法文,因此发音也和一般的英文不太一样。它原先源于字首 re-,意思是 back (后方;后头),加上 servare,意思是 to keep、to save (保存)。
The Shihmen Reservoir was built in 1956.
石门水库建于 1956 年。
dam (n.) 水坝
美国人一般口语上会用 dam 代称整个水库,但其实细分来看,dam 指的是「水坝」。
Hydroelectric dams can be used to generate power.
水力发电的水坝可以用来产生能源。
soil and water conservation (n.) 水土保持
conservation 意指「保持;维持;保存」,soil 表示「土壤」,因此 soil and water conservation 则是「水土保持」的意思。
The construction on top of the mountain has been canceled due to concerns regarding soil and water conservation.
山顶上的建设因水土保持的考量遭取消。
conservation 亦可指「保育」,如:wild bird conservation (野鸟保育)。
The Taipei Zoo has a conservation area for birds.
台北动物园有一个鸟类保育区。
水利工程师在建立水利设施的同时,不忘确保环境受到保护,真的是一种伟大的职业! J