Sofia 生气极了!到底发生了什么事呢?
Sofia: I just can’t believe it!
Sofia:我简直无法相信!
Bob: Calm down, Sofia. What happened?
Bob:冷静点,Sofia。发生了什么事?
Sofia: It’s my teammate from my soccer team! He’s just… such an idiot! Such a weak teammate!
Sofia:是我足球队的队员啦!他是个…就是个白痴!根本猪队友!
Bob: Aha! Now I got you! There’s nothing worse thing than having an idiot on your team.
Bob:啊哈!我懂!没什么比组上有白痴还要惨的事了。
Sofia: Exactly. I mean, does he even know there’s such thing as “team spirit”?
Sofia:没错。我是在说啦,他懂不懂「团队精神」啊?
Bob: Those people are usually self-centered and selfish.
Bob:那些人通常就是自我中心又自私。
Sofia: Yes, every match he is awful. He always has a bad temper and such a short fuse. He just gets angry for no reason.
Sofia:对,每场比赛他都很糟。脾气很糟又很爱暴怒,常常无来由生气。
Bob: I see. Sounds like such a moody person.
Bob:了解。听起来他是个喜怒无常的人。
Sofia 我懂妳!不怕神对手,就怕猪队友!来学学这些单字吧!
weak teammate (n.) 猪队友
weak teammate 直翻中文是「弱队友」,对照意思其实就是中文的「猪队友」,注意英文里没有 pig teammate 这种说法哦!
My biggest wish is not to have a weak teammate on my team.
我最大的心愿就是组里不会有猪队友。
team spirit (n.) 团队精神
team spirit 的中文即是「团队精神」,spirit 为名词,意思是「精神;心灵;鬼魂」,复数形 spirits 则有「情绪」的意思,例如:in high/low spirit (情绪高昂/低落)。
The team leader decided to give a short speech to try and boost our team spirit.
组长决定来一小段演讲,提升我们的团队精神。
She’s been been in really low spirits ever since she got fired.
她被解雇后情绪就一直很低落。
bad temper (n.) 坏脾气
temper 为名词,表示「脾气」,a good/bad temper 即是「好坏脾气」。有些人心情时好时坏喜怒无常,这种人我们就可以用 moody 形容之。
No one likes to talk to Jimmy because he has a bad temper.
没有人喜欢和 Jimmy 说话,因为他脾气很糟。
It is hard to get along with a moody person.
喜怒无常的人很难相处。
除此之外,Sofia 遇到的猪队友还有多糟糕呢?继续听下去吧!
Sofia: Not only that, he often makes foolish decisions and is really impatient when he doesn’t have the ball.
Sofia:不止如此,他还常常做很蠢的决定,而且每次讨没拿到球就很不耐烦。
Bob: It sounds like he doesn’t know how to cooperate with others.
Bob:听起来他不懂得和别人合作。
Sofia: Precisely. And he is so lazy. He never runs during the game.
Sofia:没错就是这样。而且他很懒,比赛的时候都不跑。
Bob: You know, there was a time when I was so pissed off with my lazy teammate that I collected all the evidence I could and reported him to our coach.
Bob:跟你说,我有一次被我的懒队员气到我就直接收集所有的证据,然后向教练举报他。
Sofia: Wow! What happened in the end?
Sofia:哇!最后怎么了?
Bob: He got thrown off the team of course!
Bob:他当然就是被踢出去啦!
Sofia: Nice… Maybe I should team up with my other teammates and do something similar.
Sofia:赞诶…或许我也应该和其他组员合作做同样的事。
Bob: Yeah, you should show him how angry his teammates are. Remember: unity makes strength.
Bob:对啊,你应该让他知道大家有多不爽。记得:团结力量大。
和教练或上头举报猪队友真的是大快人心的一件事!
impatient (adj.) 没耐心的
patient 可当形容词,表示「有耐心的」,前面加上带有否定意味的字首 im- 就变身成 impatient (没耐心的)。
Be patient with your grandfather! He talks slowly because he’s old.
对你的阿公有耐心一点!他讲话慢是因为老了。
I’m fed up with you being so impatient with me!
我受够你总是对我那么没耐心!
cooperate (v.) 合作
cooperate 这个字可以被拆解为字首 co- (一起) 和动词 operate (运作),合在一起变身为 cooperate 就是「一起运作」,也就是「合作」的意思,例如:cooperate with sb. (和某人合作)。其名词形为 cooperation。
In order to achieve their mutual goal, teammates need to cooperate with each other.
为了达成共同的目标,组员们必须与彼此合作。
Our cooperation on this project has been great!
很开心一起共事!
unity makes strength 团结力量大
unity 为名词,表示「团结;合一」,strength 也是名词,意思是「力量」,而 make 在这句话中的意思是可不是「制作」,而是「造就」的意思。补充: United we stand, divided we fall. (团结则存,分裂则亡。)
Unity makes strength, and a united group of people should not to be underestimated.
团结力量大,一群人的力量可是不容小觑的。