Night owl 夜猫子
I’m a night owl.
我是夜猫子。
*补充*
early bird = 早起的人/ 早到的人
Special price for early birds
早到的人有特别优惠。
Monkey Business (公司)诈欺
I think there’s some monkey business going on, you’d better not invest any money.
我觉得那家公司有诈欺的情形,你不要投资比较好。
Rat race 汲汲营营/ 恶性竞争
My brother’s tired of the rat race. He’s quitting his job and moving to a cabin in the woods.
我的哥哥对于现代繁忙的都市生活已经感到厌烦,他将辞掉他的工作并且搬到林间小屋居住。
觉得每天的生活都是 rat race 吗?说不定这影片能让你换个想法唷:
Top dog 居高者/ 最有权力的人
Jack thinks he’s the top dog around here.
Jack觉得他是这一带的头头。
*补充*
top dog = rule the roost
Mrs. Wang rules the roost on the school board.
王太太是主掌学校委员会的人。
Cat got your tongue? 说不出话来了吗? (对方害羞或紧张说不出来时可以这么说)
Why don’t you say anything? Cat got your tongue?
你怎么什么都不说?你舌头打结啦?
Cash cow摇钱树
This product has always been a cash cow for our company.
这项产品一直以来都是我们公司的摇钱树。
A stag party 亲一色男性的聚会
I went to a stag party last night because my friend is getting married today.
我昨晚参加了我们男生的单身趴,因为我朋友今天就要结婚了。
*补充*
1. hen party = 清一色女性的聚会
2. stag = 雄鹿, hen = 母鸡
女生们可不只喜欢享受 “hen party” ! 看看女生的揪团尿尿文化是怎么一回事:
Black sheep 败家子/ 害群之马
There is a black sheep in every flock.
到处都有害群之马。
Road hog 鲁莽开车的人
The man in front of us is really a road hog.
在我们前面那个人真的是个蛮横的司机。
*补充*
hog = 猪
Donkey work 杂事
This business is under Wilson’s management, I’m only doing the donkey work.
这事业是Mike在经营的,我只负责做些杂事而已。
A sitting duck 待宰羔羊
He is like a sitting duck for the enemy.
他现在对敌军来说就像只待宰的羔羊。
Pigs might fly. 连猪都会飞了! (表示不可能发生)
Tom: One day I might be a super star.
有朝一日我说不定会成为一个巨星。
Jerry: Yeah, and pigs might fly.
对阿,而且连猪也会飞了。