用英文谈论敏感话题是件不容易的事情。相信你一定遇过这样的状况:和朋友逛街买衣服时,对方试穿衣服问你好不好看,你觉得不合适,又不想tell a white lie (说善意的谎言),这时该怎么说才能让对方欣然接受你的意见呢?或者,你是否有心里有话,但因为怕对方难过或生气,而难以启齿的经验?
I. Bringing up a sensitive topic
提出敏感议题
1. Can I talk to you for a minute?
我可以跟你聊一下吗?
2. I need to talk to you for a minute.
我需要跟你聊一下。
3. Do you mind if I ask you something?
你介意我问你一个问题吗?
4. There’s something I need to tell you.
Or I have to tell you something.
有件事我必须告诉你。
5. There’s something (that) I think you should know.
有件事我想应该让你知道。
6. We need to talk.
我们需要聊聊。
II. Prefacing a negative subject
导入负面话题
1. I don’t mean to be rude, but . . .
Or I don’t mean to offend you, but…
我无意冒犯,但是⋯⋯
2. I hate to tell you this, but . . .
我实在不想告诉你,但是⋯⋯
3. I don’t know how to tell you this, but . . .
我不知道该怎么告诉你比较好,但是⋯⋯
4. You might not like what I have to say, but . . .
我说的话可能不中听,但是⋯⋯
5. I wish I didn’t have to tell you this, but . . . *I wish…与现在事实相反的假设
我希望我不必告诉你,但是⋯⋯
6. this may be unpleasant, but . . .
我要告诉你的可能不是好事,但是⋯⋯
7. This may seem blunt, but . . . *blunt (adj.)直率;直接了当的
这可能有点直接,但是⋯⋯