昨天 Bella 邀请 Wendy 来看她们的水上芭蕾比赛,隔天两人便聊起昨天的比赛。
Wendy: You were very impressive at the competition yesterday! Congratulations!
Wendy:昨天的比赛超级精彩!恭喜你们!
Bella: Thanks for coming to cheer us on!
Bella:谢谢妳来帮我们加油!
Wendy: You made dancing in the water like that look effortless. How did you get so good?
Wendy:妳怎么能在水中豪不费力地跳舞?怎么办到的?
Bella: I’ve been doing synchronized swimming for over 10 years. When I first started out it was very hard to keep time with the music and I would swallow a lot of water.
Bella:我已经学了十年的水上芭蕾了,刚开始学的时候很难跟上音乐的节奏,还很容易喝进很多水。
Wendy: It was amazing when you stood on your teammates’ shoulders and jumped out of the water!
Wendy:当我看到妳站在队友的肩膀上跃出水面时,我整个觉得很惊艳。
Bella: I’m the smallest in our team, so I’m the flyer. Flyers normally have a background in gymnastics and have to execute complex moves on top of the formation.
Bella:我是我们之中体型最小的,所以我要负责跃出水面。像我们通常都需要有体操背景,而且要执行比较复杂困难的动作。
Wendy: That must need a lot of strength! So do your teammates push off of the bottom of the pool to propel you into the air?
Wendy:这一定很费力!妳的队友是蹬地把妳推上去的吗?
Bella: No, it’s against the rules to the touch the bottom of the pool during each routine. this means that mastering skills like sculling and the eggbeater kick is essential.
Bella:不,在做每一组舞蹈时,我们都不能碰到池底,所以划水和打蛋式踩水的技巧是很重要的。
水上芭蕾看起来如此优雅,想不到原来这么费力!一起边复习单字边了解这门运动吧!
synchronized swimming (n.) 水上芭蕾
synchronized 的意思是「同步的;同时发生的」,因为水上芭蕾揉合了芭蕾、游泳、和体操,所以就称为 synchronized swimming,也有人称之为 artistic swimming 或 water ballet。
Synchronized swimming is a physically demanding sport.
水上芭蕾是需要耗费大量体力的运动。
choke on sth. (phr.) 被…呛到
choke 的意思是「窒息;噎到;呼吸困难」,后面会加上介系词 on,表示「被…呛到、噎到」。要特别注意 choke 这个动词不用被动语态来表达,而是直接说 sb. choke on sth.。
Babies can choke on small toys.
宝宝会被果冻噎到。
flyer (n.) 跃出水面的人
flyer 常见的意思是「传单」,在水上芭蕾是指「跃出水面的人」,要做出抬举的动作时,队伍就会分为三组人,包括最上面的 flyer、组成架构的 base swimmer、以及负责将整个架构往上推的 pusher。
The flyer was launched out of the water by her teammates and executed a flawless backflip.
跃水者跳出水面,做了一个完美的后空翻。
sculling (n.) 用手划水 / eggbeater kick (n.) 打蛋式踩水
动词 scull 本来是「用双桨划」的意思,在水上芭蕾是指「用手划水」,让身体保持不动或前进、后退。 eggbeater kick 则是水上芭蕾的基本动作——打蛋式踩水,顾名思义就是双脚要像打蛋器一样向内画圆打水,让脚不要接触池底。
Sculling and the eggbeater kick are basic moves for synchronized swimmers.
用手划水和打蛋式踩水对水上芭蕾舞者来说都是很基本的技巧。
接着 Bella 和 Wendy 聊起了其他水上运动。
Bella: I also love snorkeling, diving, and surfing. Do you like water sports?
Bella:我也喜欢浮潜、跳水和冲浪。妳喜欢水上运动吗?
Wendy: No, I’d sink like a stone if I tried swimming.
Wendy:不,我是旱鸭子,但我喜欢玩水
Bella: That’s alright! You can try water aerobics or snorkeling if you’re not a confident swimmer.
Bella:我觉得妳可以试试水中有氧或浮潜,即使妳不会游泳也可以享受这些运动。
Wendy: Really? I’m worried I might drown?
Wendy:真的吗?我很怕溺死!
Bella: Don’t worry! Before snorkeling, you’ll get a snorkel vest, snorkel, and snorkel mask.
Bella:别担心!在浮潜之前,妳会穿上浮潜背心、呼吸管和面镜。
Wendy: That’s a relief! I should sign up for the summer snorkeling camp then!
Wendy:谢天谢地!那我就可以报名参加浮潜夏令营了!
Bella: That’s great! There’s a whole world of beautiful marine fauna out there for you to discover!
Bella:太好了!美丽的海洋世界正等着妳去挖掘!
Wendy: I can’t wait to see the colorful coral reefs and clown fish!
Wendy:我已经等不及想去看舞彩缤纷的珊瑚礁和小丑鱼了!
snorkeling (n.) 浮潜
snorkeling 是较适合大众的「浮潜」,名词 snorkel 是指潜水用的「呼吸管」,要说「去浮潜」则会说 go snorkeling。另一种「水肺潜水」是 scuba diving,需要背着气瓶下水,可以潜到比较深的海域。
She went snorkeling in Jellyfish Lake in Palau.
她去帛琉的水母湖浮潜。
diving (n.) 跳水
diving 的意思是「跳水」,它的动词是 dive,意为「跳水;潜入水中」。此外 diving 还能够用来指任何由上往下俯冲的动作,包括上面提到的 scuba diving (水肺潜水),以及 free diving (自由潜水)、skydiving (跳伞)。
Diving at the Olympics uses both a high diving platform and springboards.
跳水是奥运比赛的其中一个项目。
sink like a stone (phr.) 旱鸭子
石头掉进水中只会向下沉,所以片语 swim like a stone 就是用来指「不会游泳的人;旱鸭子」。
No wonder he is afraid of water. Last time he went out in the lake he sunk like a stone and nearly drowned.
难怪他怕水。上次他去湖里游泳跟旱鸭子一样,还差点溺水。
water aerobics (n.) 水中有氧
aerobic 是「有氧的」,aerobics 是名词,指「有氧运动」,包括跑步、飞轮、瑜珈等。 water aerobics 则是「水中有氧」,其实就跟有氧运动是一样的概念,只是把地点换成游泳池,水中的阻力能够帮助增强肌力及耐力。
Water aerobics can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
水中有氧是个老少咸宜的运动。